Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Where my mind roams

We bought a 20 lb flat of peaches a few weeks ago, I love peaches!  Absolutely my favourite fruit.  Up until we moved to this area I'd never had fruit trees in my yard, I mean there was always a crab apple tree at my grandparents place but I was never a huge fan of that fruit.  After we bought this house and realized we had both a peach and a plum tree in the backyard I was so happy and for the first 4 or 5 years they both yielded tons of healthy delicious fruit.  One summer the peach tree's leaves started to curl up and die...shortly after so did our tree.  We tried to save it and did the fertilizing in the fall and spring but nothing helped.   Since then we have looked to the local fruit farms to get our summer peach fix.

For the last few years I have been making jam with the peaches and usually I have good luck but I find I am not the best at being the most exact for following the recipes directly which comes back to bite me in my lazy corner cutting butt.  Sometimes too thick, sometimes weird off putting taste (vanilla added in at cooking time) bad idea.  This year it looks like I am going to have runny jam...time will tell, another 24-48 hours and things might thicken up (fingers crossed).  The few times when things have gone well its been pretty tasty jam no doubt.  I guess I wouldn't have been much of a wife back in the pioneer days.  Canning really isn't my forte but making cute jar labels is :) Gotta focus on the positives



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Maple Trees and Sand Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template